MVLS/ARTS inter-disciplinary seminar: ‘The Child’.
Date: Friday 8th April 2016
Location: Rooms 408 and 409, Gilmorehill Halls, University of Glasgow
All welcome – attendance is free and lunch provided so please email Professor Lury (email@example.com) if you are planning to attend.
The aim of this seminar/workshop is to bring together colleagues from diverse disciplines – media studies, historians, clinicians and social scientists – who may have various interests and investment in the ‘child’ and their medical and social well being. As a starting point for wider discussion the seminar will organise around two specific themes:
- Questions of childhood well-being and mental health
- The status and representation of the disabled child within social and media discourse.
9.30am Welcome: coffee/cake available
9.50am Introduction: Karen Lury, Amy Holdsworth, Sarah Cockram.
10-11am Roundtable: mini-introductions from participants as to interests and disciplinary background.
11-12.15 pm The child and well being
- Professor Lynn Abrams and Dr Valerie Wright: ‘All children need the opportunity to play with other children’
- Dr Ruchika Gajwani: ‘Child and adolescent mental health and wellbeing.’
12.15-1.30 pm Lunch, including screening of television programme/film
1.30-2.45pm The child and disability
- Dr Katherine Runswick-Cole: ‘The Dishuman Child’
- Dr Amy Holdsworth: ‘Disability, care and the tactile address of pre-school television’
2.45-3.30 pm Discussion: coffee/cake, feedback and next steps.